The Paradise that is Alona Beach
Among the thousands of islands and beaches in the Philippines, Alona Beach in Panglao Bohol stands as one of the most beautiful. She is famous for her powdery-fine white sand and a popular spot for snorkeling and scuba diving. She attracts a lot of tourists from all over the world and is a haven for those who want to unwind and enjoy nature.
It’s easy to find enjoyable things to do when you’re in Alona beach. You can go swimming in the crystal clear, pollution-free water, go for water adventures which are available at a reasonable price, lay a blanket on the sand and soak up the sun while reading your favorite book, or party with the vibrant nightlife of the island all night long.
You will never get bored doing these things even if you’re a frequent beach-goer, however, doing something different will give you more satisfaction and reason to come back.
Here I list 5 things you can do to enjoy Alona beach more that are definitely extraordinary.
- Swimming early in the morning when the sun is rising. There is this lovely scene in Alona beach in the morning, where the sun is halfway on the horizon. The rays of the sun touch the tiny waves of the seawater, creating kaleidoscopic glows that are mesmerizing and inviting. They’re like the hypnotizing singing of the sirens minus the tragic end. It is so gorgeous you will have every reason to get up early in the morning. I just fell in love the first time I saw this, more than 10 years ago, while preparing breakfast. I was with a group of college friends, some of us were tasked to do the breakfast that particular morning, dawn was breaking that time. However, when the first rays of the sun touched the still seawater, it was just so magical. I had to stop what I was doing and asked a friend to finish it. I had to take a dip in the water.
- Food Tripping. Alona beach is packed with resorts and small stores offering a variety of food from all over the world. Feast yourself with a banquet of fresh seafood and gulp it with fresh fruit juices. If you like grilled food, you can never miss them as they’re everywhere. Where there’s smoke, there’s barbecue! There’s also international food such as Japanese, Korean, or European, in case tourists miss food from home. I like going back to the Buzzz Cafe because they serve delicious food at an affordable price, and they use native ingredients such as flowers grown in their backyard.
- Massage by the shore. Getting a massage is one way to relax your self and you can get them in spa resorts and outlets. But up it one bit, or downgrade it, doesn’t matter how you call it, with a massage by the shore. Locals have set up an area where visitors can get a massage, by the beach, at a very affordable price. Listening to the waves is already relaxing, on top of it, you will get a good kneading to your tired muscles. Don’t forget to give a tip to your masseur/masseuse. The downside to this is that you won’t really get sleepy during the massage because there are just too many people buzzing around. Notwithstanding, I could still see some who are too relaxed they’re snoring.
- Snorkeling – swim like the fish. Alona beach is near a reef and different kinds of fish and sea creatures swim there, most of them going as far as the beach. Bring a snorkeling gear, enjoy swimming with the sea creatures, and be in awe of the beauty of the sea. Get an underwater camera and record everything so you can watch them again anytime. You can always go scuba diving, but some find it too expensive, so snorkeling is a better option for them.
- Coastal cleanup – become a catalyst for change. This is one thing you can do that is fun and worthwhile. Bring a bag while you walk along the sand and pick up rubbish along the way. Invite your friends to do the same. If everyone does this, the cleanliness of Alona Beach will be maintained. Tidying up as you go is something I live by every day and it’s so frustrating to be seeing trash all around. How can others be so unmindful of their surroundings, I will never understand.
You’d expect people who go to Alona Beach to only swim, get their skin tanned or party at night, but there is more to Panglao Island that anyone can also enjoy. The list above are personal choices, and anyone could have more than that or find more exciting things to do when you think out of the ordinary. Whether this is your first time visiting or you frequent Alona beach, doing something extraordinary is always fun.